Nominations for the Coles County Farmer of the Year are now being accepted by the Charleston Area Chamber of Commerce. The Purpose of this award is to formally recognize the accomplishments and achievements of a Coles County Farmer.
The winner of the award will be announced on Friday, July 3rd, as part of the Red, White & Blue Days celebration. Other festivities, including the parade, will take place during the day on Saturday, July 4.
Candidates for the award must be aColesCounty resident who farms any type of commodity including beef, dairy, cash crop, etc. The candidate will be judged on the following criteria:
- Contribution toColesCountyagriculture
- The use of innovative farming techniques
- A willingness to help other farmers in farming and civic organizations
- Participation in community activities and organizations outside agriculture
- This individual should exemplify the farming profession and serve as a role model for younger farmers to emulate.
Applications can be picked up at the Chamber office, 501 Jackson Avenueor the Coles County Farm Bureau office, 719 Lincoln Avenue. You can also call the Chamber at 345-7041 to request a form or download a form here.
Nominations must be submitted no later than 4 p.m., Friday, June 5.