Maryville, Illinois – Congressman John Shimkus (R, Illinois-15) today announced his 19 nominations to the military service academies. The congressman nominates, and then the academies themselves make the final determination whether a nominee receives an appointment to attend that academy.
“The academies look at academics, leadership, and physical fitness in order to assure a young person is well-rounded and able to cope with the unique challenges of attending a military school,” Shimkus, himself a graduate of West Point, said. “I am very proud of these young men and women for considering an academy for their college choice and am grateful for the honor of being able to nominate them.”
The four military academies that require congressional nominations are the: United States Military Academy (USMA), located in West Point, New York; United States Air Force Academy (USAFA), located in Colorado Springs, Colorado; United States Naval Academy (USNA), located in Annapolis, Maryland; and United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), located in Kings Point, New York.
High school juniors, college students, or current members of the military who are residents of the 15th District and wish to attend an academy beginning in 2019 can start the dual application process now by registering on the academy’s website. This summer, interested students should complete the online application form for the Congressman’s office available at shimkus.house.gov/services/academy.
The full list of the congressman’s nominees for the class of 2022 are:
- Ms. Sophia Allen of Oblong to USAFA and USNA
- Ms. Morgan Braden of Strasburg to USAFA
- Mr. Donavon Burton of Arcola to USMA
- Mr. Joseph Churm of Mahomet to USAFA and USNA
- Mr. James Crane of Arcola to USAFA, USMA, USNA, and USMMA
- Ms. Allison Duncan of Rossville to USMA
- Ms. Abigail Duzan of Tuscola to USMA
- Ms. Anna Freeland of Mount Carmel to USNA
- Mr. Augustus Heal of Effingham to USAFA, USMA, and USNA
- Mr. Collin Henderson of Trenton to USNA
- Mr. Jarrett Jones of Effingham to USNA
- Mr. Wesley Jones of Robinson to USAFA
- Mr. Zachary Keitel of Effingham to USAFA
- Mr. Samuel Kettleson of Mattoon to USNA
- Mr. Washington (Alex) Loeffler of St. Jacob to USAFA, USMA, USNA, and USMMA
- Mr. Ethan Macklin of Findlay to USAFA
- Ms. Erin Roberts of Naperville to USMMA*
- Mr. Patrick Sherrod of Effingham to USMA, USNA, and USMMA
- Mr. Hayden Wimberly of Salem to USAFA
An individual may be nominated to more than one academy.
*Note: Nominations to the Merchant Marine Academy can be made for prospective students statewide.