The Millikin Women’s Basketball program and mobility challenged, disabled, or handicapped individuals will team up on Friday, October 14 from 1-3:30 pm to fish and enjoy the outdoors at Woods Lake, located at Lake Shelbyville.
A handicapped-accessible fishing dock was installed this past year at Woods Lake, located five miles southwest of Sullivan, Illinois. The Millikin University women’s basketball team has invited family and friends of the program, who are challenged by mobility and therefore all too often challenged by access, to join the Big Blue women’s basketball team to fish, cook hotdogs and s’mores over a fire, smile, laugh, and enjoy the beautiful fall weather together, with no barriers or boundaries.
The schedule for the day is as follows:
- 1:00 pm: Introduction of special guests and remarks from Jay Williams,
IDNR Program Coordinator for Disabled Outdoor Opportunities, and
Jon Summers, Operations Manager for Army Corps of Engineers at Lake Shelbyville
- 1:20 Presentation of colors and National Anthem
- 1:30 Pairing up for the fishing “tournament”
- 1:30-3:00 Fishing (and hopefully some catching!!)
- 3:00-3:30 Lunch, Awards, and Prizes
All fishing equipment, bait, food, beverages, and prizes have been generously donated.
Expected to attend:
- Millikin University Women’s Basketball team and coaching staff
- Jay Williams, Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Disabled Outdoor Opportunities Program Coordinator
- Jon Summers, Operations Manager, US Army Corps of Engineers (ACE)
- Bob Hill, President of Central Illinois Sportsmen for Outdoor Accessibility (CISOA) and Supervisor of Sports Medicine/Athletic Training at St. Mary’s Athleticare
- Mike Mounce, Fish Biologist, IDNR
- Ashley Florey, Natural Resources Specialist, US ACE Lake Shelbyville Project
- Richard Glazebrook, IDNR; provided 40 rods and reels for use at event
- Chip Christensen, owner of Chip’s Marine in Sullivan
- AMBUCS, provided labor to build accessible dock
- American Legion from Sullivan, providing color guard
- Lake Shelbyville Muskie club
The Woods Lake project was completed in the Spring, 2016 thanks to many volunteers and partners including: AMBUCS – Sullivan Chapter, Boy Scouts of America packs #51 and #142, Central Illinois Sportsmen for Outdoor Accessibility (CISOA), Chip’s Marina, C-R Farms and Tiling, Roy Yantis, Ed Wiessing, Fox Redi-Mix, Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Lake Volunteers Association, Natural Gas Pipeline Company of America, LLC, National Wild Turkey Federation, Shelbyville Electric Cooperative, Sullivan Chamber and Economic Development and VFW Post 6410.
INCLEMENT WEATHER NOTE: In the event of inclement weather, the event will be cancelled; decision regarding event will be made on Thursday, Oct. 13 at 2 pm.