Illinois State Police (ISP) in District 12 encourage motorists to prepare for travel during cold weather. Preparation now will make dealing with possible roadside mishaps a little easier.
Drivers are urged to prepare their vehicles and to think of safety first, before heading onto roads that may be slick from snow and ice. This is especially important during the first ice or snow event of the year, when motorists are unaccustomed to winter driving. Remember: Fill your gas tank, allow plenty of extra time, and take it slow.
“Winter weather brings additional challenges and responsibilities for drivers,” said District 12 Commander, Captain Cory Ristvedt. “We ask that drivers be well prepared: Allow sufficient time to reach your destination, ensure passengers in the vehicle are securely restrained, drive defensively, and confirm that your vehicle is properly maintained to handle the effects of cold temperatures,” added Captain Ristvedt.
Other safety tips include:
- Make sure someone is aware of your travel route.
- Dress warmly – choose layers of clothing in anticipation of unexpected winter weather emergencies.
- Keep your gas tank at least two-thirds full to prevent the vehicle’s fuel line
from freezing. Plenty of fuel is also important if your vehicle becomes stranded.
- Don’t crowd the plow – remember, a snowplow operator’s field of vision is restricted. You may see them, but they may not see you.
- Watch out for black ice – roads that appear clear may be treacherous. Take it slow
when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges, and shady areas – all are prone to black ice.
- Have an emergency car care kit that contains jumper cables, a flashlight, a small ice scraper, blankets, gloves, food items, water, and a first aid kit.
- Carry a cell phone AND charger.
- Always wear a safety belt.
Motorists are urged to check travel conditions before any trip. You may get interstate condition information by calling 1-800-452-IDOT (4368) or on the Internet at www.gettingaroundillinois.com.
For additional winter travel information:
Like us on Facebook at Illinois State Police District 12 Effingham
Follow us on Twitter @ISPDistrict12
Instagram at ISP District 12