The Lake Land College Alumni Association is inviting all members of One Laker Nation to join a newly created volunteer pool to support the college.
The Alumni Office and the Alumni Association Board of Directors are creating a directory of volunteers who are willing and interested in donating their expertise and gifts of time to help the college. The college will soon email a simple survey to those alumni with an email address on file, asking individuals to respond with their areas of interest. The survey will also be available on the alumni website at lakelandcollege.edu/alumni.
Volunteer opportunities will expand in the future but initial areas of need are:
- Near-peer mentor program – As a recent graduate, share your personal experiences with students who have questions about navigating the college process. This would likely be done through social media, email or some other electronic medium
- Phone Bank – Be a part of a group of volunteers who would work at a campus phone bank to reach out to students for important reminders such as times to register for classes, pick up or return books, file their intent to graduate.
- Special Events – Serve as an ambassador for Lake Land College in your community.
- Presenters – Share your expertise as a member of a speaker or presenter bureau for special events, special topics in classes, Career Day, etc. You could be asked to talk or prevent on a variety of topics ranging from professional expertise to personal knowledge and skills in a hobby or talent.
- Advisory Boards – Share your career and industry knowledge by expressing your willingness to serve on a curriculum-based Professional Advisory Board. Division chairs and program coordinators can call upon this pool of volunteers when needed to help strengthen their programs and courses.
- Foundation Scholarship Committee – Assist the Foundation in reading and evaluating student scholarship applications twice a year around the February and August time periods.
“Budgets and resources are stretched thin in today’s environment and our programs and students can benefit from the vast talents of our alumni who we proudly refer to as One Laker Nation,” said Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving Dave Cox. “This is not only a way our alumni can support today’s students through gifts of their time but also be a valuable resource to the college. I hope each alumnus of Lake Land College whether he or she intends to volunteer or not will take just a few minutes and complete the survey.”
All those who complete the survey will be entered into a drawing for a $50 Amazon gift card, $25 AMC movie gift card and $25 iTunes gift card.