Denny’s of Mattoon congratulates this month’s hometown hope grant winner, Douglas-Hart Nature Center!
- Volunteers needed to help with land management, gardening, and conservation efforts at the Douglas-Hart Nature Center and Friendship Garden. Flexible volunteer hours, but the conservation crew meets every Tuesday and Thursday 8:30-10:30am at the Douglas-Hart Nature Center.
- Our annual Spring Festival is coming up on Saturday, March 24 8am-Noon. Price of admission for youth is $3 for youth or $5 for adults and includes a full breakfast (Pancakes, sausage links, and beverage). Choose from secret recipe buttermilk, blueberry, chocolate chip or sprinkle pancakes! Plus visitors can learn how syrup gets from a tree to your breakfast table on our Maple Syrup trail. See real trees tapped and a real boil down. Kids can try their hand at tapping and make a real spile! Plus fun spring crafts and games too! Buy your tickets early and save $1 off each admission.
- Spring Break for kids!! Fun classes to choose from like Jungle-Mangi, Game Gurus, Firestarters, Ultimate Forts, and Leprechaun or bunny traps. Classes run all day from 9am-5pm during Mattoon and Charleston spring breaks.
- Families with toddlers or preschoolers can join Ms. Jenn the firstFriday of the month for special centers and storytime for Budding Naturalist or Storytime and Snuggles is the last Wednesday of each month. Both classes start at 10am.
- Looking for an engaging, safe, and fun environment for your child this summer?! The Douglas-Hart Nature Center offers over 60 fun themed camps to interest your child, keeping them engaged in learning. Some of our most popular camps include: Camp Rock, Fishing Fun, Fairy Tales, Myths N Legends, Fantastic Beasts, Totally Turtle, and there are just too many favorites! Camps are am or pm and run five days and cost around $35 for the whole week!
- Adults we have a variety of programs for you too! From Nature in the Arts classes like string art, fairy garden furniture or DIY succulent planters. Or join our bird walks, every Thursday in spring at 8am.
- Remember, the trails are always free and are open dawn till dusk. The Visitor Center is open Monday–Friday 8am-4pm, Saturday 10am-4pm, and Sunday 1-4pm. Great fun for the family with exhibits, Discovery Den play room, library and more!
- Spring has sprung and the Nature Center is bursting with activity! Have you fed the fish yet? Have you seen Fluffy yet this year? Not sure who Fluffy is? Stop by the Nature Center and discover all we have to offer!
- For a complete list of all of our programs and events, visit our website at www.dhnature.org or find us on Facebook @douglashartnc
Congratulations to Douglas-Hart Nature Center for being our March winner of the Hometown HOPE Grant. There is still time to submit your non-profit organization to win our next grant – just click here!