EIU announces Sandra and Jack Pine Honors College Scholarship recipients
(Charleston, IL)—The Eastern Illinois University Sandra and Jack Pine Honors College has announced the 2018 recipients of the College’s most prestigious award—its Presidential and Pemberton Presidential Scholarships.
Presidential Scholars: Up to 15 Presidential Scholars are awarded each year, covering $11,000 toward tuition and fees over a four-year span. This year, 13 recipients were selected for the scholarship. EIU’s 2018 Presidential Scholars are:
- Jurnee Evans, English, Casey-Westfield Junior-Senior High School, Westfield, IL
- Elizabeth Hicks, English, St. Laurence High School, Oak Lawn, IL
- Shelby Martell, Biological Sciences/Neuroscience, Gull Lake High School, Galesburg, MI
- Jackson Melvin, History, Homeschooled, Christopher, IL
- Shaelyn Page, Psychology, Auburn High School, Rockford, IL
- Tess Patterson, Biological Sciences, South Newton Junior Senior High School, Pontiac, IL
- Francesco Romano, Computer Science, Edwardsville Senior High School, Edwardsville, IL
- Katherine Smith, Music: Teacher Education, Paris Cooperative High School 04, Paris, IL
- Jason Tabit, Management, Fairport High School, Fairport, NY
- Michal Treadway, Pre-Occupational Therapy, Yorkville High School, Oswego, IL
- Katie Webb, English: Language Arts (Teaching), Ed Sullivan High School, Sullivan, IL
- Anakin Weston, English, Rochelle Township High School, Rochelle, IL
- Jennifer Wisner, Accounting, Maroa-Forsyth High School, Forsyth, IL
Pemberton Presidential Scholars: Up to five Pemberton Presidential Scholars are awarded $11,000 towards tuition and fees and approximately $9,500 toward on-campus room and board over a four-year span. This year, four recipients were selected for the scholarship. EIU’s 2018 Pemberton Presidential Scholars are:
- Delainey File, Mathematics: Teacher Certification, DuQuoin High School, DuQuoin, IL
- Anna Hemrich, Accounting, Newton Community High School, Newton, IL
- Makayla McPhedran, Music: Teacher Education, La Salle-Peru Township High School, La Salle, IL
- Abigail Smith, Communication Disorders and Sciences, Taylorville High School, Taylorville, IL
“The Presidential Scholars at EIU are some of the university’s most accomplished students, who are challenged inside and outside the classroom,” said Richard England, dean of the Sandra and Jack Pine Honors College. “In addition to their scholarships, they receive individualized advising and produce unique projects, all the while learning how to become leaders in the university and in their chosen fields of study.”
EIU’s Sandra and Jack Pine Honors College helps strong students excel by providing exceptional honors classes, service and extracurricular opportunities, and support for undergraduate research and study abroad. The College strives to unite a diverse community of scholars as they seek to make the most of their time at EIU.
For more information about EIU, and to learn more about its programs and services, visit the university’s website at www.eiu.edu, or call EIU’s public information office at (217) 581-7400.